Saturday, March 22, 2008

Happy Easter Weekend!

So this weekend, at Casa Overlook, we have had the pleasure of the company of the Jacquette's! Last night Mamma Jacquette made chicken pot pie, and Rob, Mamma & Pappa Jacquette, Kadence and I sat down for a fun home-cooked meal. It is nice to have the presence of parents around to tell stories of misbehaved children, and the opportunity to sit down and have a family style dinnner. I think, with all our jobs and obligations that Gozer, Rob & I have, we dont get many chances to just sit down and have a seated dinner at the table- so the change is a nice adjustment.
I haven't blogged in awhile, so I am behind on the cankle updates. I ended up being diagnosed with a fibula stress fracture, as well as Parenial tendon severe inflammation. The prognosis was to be outfitted with a skicast... aka DAS BOOT. After a week, I was to be examined again to determine further what the plan of action would be. Well this past Thursday was the day, and like the groundhog seeing his shadow... I might be in Das Boot for another 6 weeks... right now, we are reevaluating in two weeks (1st week of April) to determine if I am able to walk without the cast, and start physical therapy... of not.. more weeks of Das Boot are to come.
I tell you, that this news was obviously NOT something I was looking for, but I have always had the philosophy that things happen for a reason... I must find what I am to be taught by this lesson, learn something from this experience and move on. I can tell you, that it has been agony seeing the weather warm up here... the runners out on the sides of streets, and knowing in the back of my mind.... 8 weeks till FL 70.3... 7 weeks till FL 70.3.. and yet, I get to walk around with Das Boot on. Sure there are benefits, like getting to park in a handicap spot last weekend at the St. Patricks Day bash, and sure I get to cut the line to get drinks... but being limited, or prevented from doing something that I want to do.. is just not in my design. You betcha Im still wearing the sun dresses... but its just not the same... the Das Boot tan is crimping my style ;)
I have to say that at this point.. I have to control the controllables.. and right now, I cannot control my ankle, how long it takes to heal etc. I am at the mercy of time, and faith, and the belief that it will get better, and this boot will not become a long term accessory to my wardrobe. I guess the main emotion Im feeling is frustration.. frustration that this was not brought about by anything that I can specifically pin point.. no twisted ankle, no improper step.. just pain in one stride that escalated for the last 3miles of a Half Marathon. In retrospect, I probably should have stopped and walked... but I had no idea by the time I crossed the finish line I would not be able to walk... it was that quick. I can only hope that the recovery time will follow suit.
The days continue on, and April fast approaches. We will see what the next two weeks bring. If I am unable to start walking without Das Boot in two weeks, I will have to reevaluate the beginning of the season, and possibly back out of some races. I would like to re qualify for Worlds again, but I just dont know what sort of shape I will be in come May. Keep em' crossed.
As always, I am in deeply thankful for the amazing support network that I have. My family and friends who consistently keep my mind off the cankle, and are always optimistic of recovery. I know Easter isnt the traditional holiday for giving thanks, but I try to make it a point more often than not to express my thanks for the amazing people I am so fortunate to have surrounding me, supporting me... in town, state side, and abroad.

1 comment:

The Lazy Triathlete said...

I am glad that you had such a great time with your family. My wife is in a boot also, and we have also named it Das Boot!! Good luck and get well soon.