Sunday, March 9, 2008

CTEP into Spring

So today might rank up there as one of the least liked days in the year. Not only is it Sunday, and the last free day to enjoy before the work week starts again, but we loose an hour to 'spring forward'. I tried to be proactive and get up early, enjoy the day, diagnose my recovery status from the Cankle, and otherwise try and make it a productive day.
Yesterday was tons of fun at the CTEP Triathlon Expo & Party held at the Athletic Center by the King and Queen buildings downtown. All the triathlon clubs, bike shops, sports massage therapists, sports doctors, etc were in attendance. I was volunteering at the All3Sports 'tent' helping talk to newbie triathlete about anything and everything tri. Sarah Haskins and I also got to conduct a 'Triathlon Transition 101' class in the spin room. We went through an entire transition bag, discussed T1 &T2, things to expect, things to remember to bring, and then fielded questions. Its still funny to me, because 2 years ago, I would have been sitting in that exact same position not knowing what to expect. Now that I think about it, I seriously had no idea what a transition was, or how best to attack it, but luckily I got to watch Dan Moss & David Silver in a local duathlon, which really put a visual perspective to 'proper transitioning technique' because I fear, left up to me, I wouldn't have known the first thing about what to bring, or where to run in/run out/ bike in/ bike out, if it hadn't been for watching them do it first.
The other really cool highlight of our Tent was the 'PowerWatt Challenge' that we were conducting. Basically consisting of a compu-trainer hooked up to a stationary bike for a .75mi- 3% gradual incline to the finish, measuring wattage/avg. speed/peak watts, etc. Each person was to give their weight so that we could calculate watts/lb. I ended up getting a 2.055/lb which I didn't really know what the heck that meant, but learned later that Pro Men (think Tour de France) typically range somewhere around 3watts/lb. So I guess the fact that Im over 2/lb isn't that bad right?? haha. A pro cyclist tested and ended up getting a 2.9/lb... with peak watts above 600 and and avg around 500+... it was RIDICULOUS! We weren't allowed to stand up out of the saddle either, which made it HARD that last 40 seconds.... my quads were on fire when I finished.. luckily we got to spin it out for a few minutes when we finished.. otherwise I think most people would have fallen right over when they dismounted!! They announced the top 3 males and females, and I ended up getting 3rd... which was fun, and hey, $50 for about 2minutes of work ain't bad at all!!! All in all, it was a great event. I got to see Collette, and chat about our upcoming season plans. She will be focusing on the Ironman Placid distance this year... SO IMPRESSIVE! I wish her the best of luck as she goes after that race, it is a killer course!!
Today had its ups and downs... the cankle felt good at some points of the day, and shakey at others.. but all in all... on the road to recovery, just not quite as quickly as I would like. It is still taking a great deal of self control to not push it, because I know in the long run that will prove more harm than good... I just have to remind myself of this... CONSTANTLY.
Club River Overlook did get a nice cleaning today, as Rob and I cleaned the kitchen, pantry, floors, and I attacked my room. I guess since we sprung forward today, it was only appropriate to hit up a lil' spring cleaning to celebrate...in between elevating and icing the cankle.

Now if only I could spring this recovery forward.. haha.

No comments: